07 January 2008

womens choice...

we aint got none.

for real. heres why i am mad.
i am hoping to have a home birth. if i have no risk factors contraindicating it.....so, i have made and appt with a liscensed midwife (LMs are completely and utterly legal in this state) for a consult....i am trying to get my homework done....i call my insurance company, Great West Healthcare (great my ass) to see what their coverage is....the midwife i have picked out "isnt a participant under our health care plan, therefore you will have to find somebody else"....gah. what the lady on the other end of the phone really meant was "damn girl, you so crazy, you must get yourself a Cert. Nurse Midwife, cuz girl, we dont cover that other shit!"

basicly, they dont cover any one that is not a certified nurse midwife.....and there arnt any in this area that will do a home birth. dudes, oregon freakin health plan covers liscensed midwives....and i make too much money to qualify for that! how is that freakin fair! baaaah.

if any of you have any idears, post them...this is kinda important to me...and i feel like my freedom to choose is being ablated by a freakin insurance company.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should take it to a highger power. Take it to the news and have them do one of those "in the community" things. With elections coming up I'll bet they'd want a story about health insurance reform....

-teapot

Michele Maule said...

I think Michael's friend had a mid wife for her birth. She works at New Seasons and they have the Great West plan...maybe he can talk to her and find out how she worked it out.
I hope you can figure this out...

Anonymous said...

hello, I'm visiting your blog from craftster. 8-)
I had both of my babies at home. Insurance didn't cover either of them. (different insurances for each baby.) My 1st mid wife was the only CNM in colorado- no coverage. She filled out all the paper work- nothing. It's kind of funny- she only charges for prenatal care- not for the actual birth because if she charged for the birth then she'd never get any coverage. She has had some different insurances cover but not ours. Our second midwife we found an intern midwife (in training) and she was cheaper. 8-)
After having two babies at home, I will tell you that every penny you will spend for the mid wife is WORTH IT. And I can go on and on for hours about why. 8-)